Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

SWF–Another first this summer at Grand Canyon

01 CA condor Cape Royal NR GRCA NP AZ
Six captive breed California condors where first released from the Vermilion Cliffs of northern Arizona in 1996. Within a year only three remained. One was found dead of a puncture wound from a Golden Eagle, one flew into power lines near Page, Arizona and the other simply disappeared. Now 74 condors have been released in Arizona plus there have been 13 wild born of which only 9 remain. This is truly a success story considering there were only 22 California condors left in the wild in 1982 when the capture and captive breeding began.
02 CA condor Cape Royal NR GRCA NP AZ 
We don’t see many condors on the North Rim. They are attracted to crowds so are seen more frequently on the South Rim, where 90% of the 5 million visitors a year go. But Wednesday a couple of visitors told me they’d seen a pair perched on a rock ledge below Angels Window. I didn’t see them there but when I walked past the window to the end of the trail at Cape Royal a shadow caught my eye causing me to look up and there one flew. I immediately pointed up into the sky and announced “condor overhead” and every visitors eyes turned skyward with cameras clicking. My shots aren’t the best. But then I had to answer a lot of condor questions.
SWF long badge 
To see more of what’s up in the sky go to Sky Watch Friday by clicking here.

Published 9/1/11 after this post by the Peregrine Fund who participates in the condor recovery program. Although condors are increasing in the wild they still die from lead poisoning. Check out the Summer 2011 update by clicking now.

31 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Terrific captures, Gaelyn, and I'm so glad to know the condors are being saved with this program. Lovely to see them in the sky! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Travels with Emma said...

How exciting for you and the visitors! :)

Kathie Brown said...

Oh! Oh! OH! Jealous! Healous! Jealous! LOL!!!!

Jo said...

Gaelyn, I'd love to be on your guided tour. You're so knowledgable. What a success story for those condors. Have a great weekend. (((Hugs))) Jo

lyn said...

Hey Gaelyn, very cool! As Dennis & I were driving home on Tues morning (the day before your condor siting), I spotted a condor cruising along about 2 miles east of House Rock Road! I almost gave Dennis a heart attack when I started screaming "CONDOR! STOP THE TRUCK NOW!!!" It was low enough to get a good look with binoculars, but too high to see the wing tag number or take a photo... wonder if it happened to be the same one you saw? A very good sign for me!

Diane said...

Oh how I wish I had been with you, I would love to see them. Jealous - Diane

Happytrails said...

How exciting!! Wish I had been there to see the Condor show!! :-)

Anonymous said...

How totally cool! I'd love to see one.

Pat said...

So glad they're making a comeback, and you were lucky to get a shot.

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots
happy SWF

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots
happy SWF

Red Nomad OZ said...

What magnificent birds! So glad they're making a comeback ...

Enjoy your weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I think your shots are great!

Martha Z said...

I'm sure it was a great thrill for the park guests. I will always remember seeing them at Pinnacles.

Laura said...

Magnificent birds and photos as well.

Judy said...

That is a one of a kind shot! It must have been so impressive to see it live!!!!!

Arija said...

Great reaction shot none the less Gaelyn!

Happy to hear they are on the increase again and what a majestic bird to have around.

Dawn Fine said...

So glad the numbers are increasing. We were lucky enough to see four while in California a few years back. Enormous birds! Cool you were able to share with everyone!

trav4adventures said...

How exciting, Gaelyn! And, your photos are great!

Hildred said...

How very impressive, - wonderfully captured and how encouraging to have the condor increasing in numbers.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Nice photos.

Regards!

January Zelene said...

lovely photos..:)

My SkyWatch Friday

Irene said...

Exciting! Glad to know the condors are being saved :)

Elaine said...

You were doing your job and I'll bet everyone of those people watching with you were thrilled.

Joyful said...

How fortuitous you were able to capture the condor. You did a marvellous job and I'm sure it was a huge thrill for you too!

Betty Manousos said...

beautiful wings!

Charlotte said...

While these are great pictures, the rest of your blog is stupendous! Such beautiful photos. I would love to visit these beautiful places before I die.

Small City Scenes said...

How exciting, GL. Wish I could see them also. MB

AJ said...

Fantastic! It's great when a real good news story gets told!

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Lets hope this means there are some moving into your neighbourhood.

Quiet Paths said...

Those photos really capture the miracle of their come-back. Oh, and lots of hard work of dedicated people. Great shots.

Google Analytics