Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sky Watch Friday - Looking UP



Moon UP above Mesa Verde National Park

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is “UP.”

It’s easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list.
But when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election. Why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends. We polish Up the furniture to brighten UP the room. We warm UP the leftovers then clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP an old car.
At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.
And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.
We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It may take UP a lot of your time, but if you don’t give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.
When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP. When it doesn’t rain for awhile, things dry UP. I could go on and on, but I’ll wrap it UP, for now because my time is UP, so.....it is time to shut UP!

Oh, one more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning upon rising and the last thing you do at night before getting in bed? U P.

To look UP at more skies from around the world or to put UP your own sky check out Sky Watch Friday by clicking here.
A friend sent this to me years ago and it recently showed UP.

19 comments:

Guy D said...

Great skywatch shot as always, visiting your blog never disappoints.

Have a great weekend!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

I agree with Guy! Great sky!!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Uplifting post with another wonderfully colured sherbet sky.

imac said...

Always looking UP your Post is worthwhile. I'm filled UP with pleasure.

Susie of Arabia said...

Love your photo today, GeoGypsy. I think UP is probably one of the most overused words in the English language. I better hurry UP and finish UP this comment before you wise UP and think I'm UP to no good!

Quiet Paths said...

Oh yes; you really captured the open sky here and such delicate pastels.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

liked your post and the sky is beautiful.
have a wonderful weekend gaelyn.

erin

EG CameraGirl said...

Fun post. There sure were a lot of UPs in you post. ;-)

DeniseinVA said...

A beautiful photo and a fun post. Thanks!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Pastel clouds and the moon. Great shot. I love it.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gaelyn: What a neat photo of the moon and pink sky.
I will step UP to the plate and say that your writing made me have an UP feeling.

Anonymous said...

That was great! I'm glad I stayed up and visited your blog or I might have missed this.
:-D

Kit said...

Wow, gorgeous!! I'm so glad I stopped by. :)

Janie said...

Interesting commentary on "up". I agree, all the many uses are baffling.
Beautiful colors in your moon shot, and your title photo is gorgeous.

happyone said...

Beautiful colors in the sky.
Love the UP words!

Diane AZ said...

Wonderful sky photo and UPbeat post. Just stopping by to see what's UP. Time to giddy UP now...

Unknown said...

I find myself always looking UP these days, to see what's UP above me....lovely sky

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a little note. Your blog and life are very interesting! I will continue to stop by. If you ever feel like a little popcorn, come on over.

Unknown said...

Ah, give it UP for Geogypsy, clap, clap, clap....

Google Analytics