Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Amazing Kolb Brothers: A Grand Life at Grand Canyon

01 Kolb Studio SR GRCA NP AZ (1024x768)
Not only does Kolb Studio offer a grand view of Grand Canyon from a historic structure and a grand little gift shop and book store, there’s also more to the story here.

11 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

I think the Kolb studio is my favorite of all...can you just imagine the life they led living at the Grand Canyon in those days? It must have been wonderful...and still is of course...makes me want to go right now!

Carole said...

I, too, love the Kolb Studio. I just bought another copy of Ellsworth's book, Through the Canyon. Amazing guys!

Tammie Lee said...

such a vast history this area has. i will be wary of coin tosses, although i guess if one rolls with the toss and likes a new adventure that is one way to get going.....

Janie said...

FAscinating info about the Kolb brothers, Gaelyn. I remember seeing the building, but didn't stop in when we were at the South Rim, probably 15 years ago. Have you read Sunk Without a Sound, the story of honeymoon Grand Canyon boaters in the 20's who disappeared? It's an interesting book.

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Wow, I don't remember this at all -- I knew we needed to come back to the Canyon! This was great history. That old poster makes me gasp!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just posts like this. Very interesting. It's a long ways from Green River,Wyoming. I can't imagine riding in a boat all that time and coming alive.

Ebie said...

Thanks to the Kolb Brothers who brought Grand Canyon to the world. This museum stores a lot of history. Very fascinating story about the skeleton.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

This is an absolutely amazing collection. It must have been such a big adventure back in the days and its great that it got preserved.

Elaine said...

Very interesting! It's hard to equate what we do with our digital cameras to the photography they did. An amazing story!

Just Jane said...

A coin toss?! Wow.

What a neat place to live and work and love. I cannot wait to come visit! (Acr0nym and I are in the pre-planning phase.)

Katrina said...

Great post! I love the Grand Canyon and have been to the studio. Went there long ago with my parents. Wonderful history all around there. Never got to do the mules. Looking forward to going back there some day.

Google Analytics