Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome to Native American Heritage Days at Grand Canyon National Park North Rim

DSCF0454 (768x1024)

Mike helping hang sign at the Grand Lodge

Thursday started the first of two days celebrating cultural exchange with the help of many local native people. I was too busy to get many photos, but Friday should have more time.

10:30am – Hopi Corn Grinding Ceremony

1pm – Navajo Flute Performance & Culture

4pm – Lakota Sioux Flute Performance

6pm – Hopi Dancing

Also demonstrations of Navajo Pottery, Paiute Cradle Boards & Hopi Kachinas

Come help us celebrate!

12 comments:

Diane said...

Wish I could come and help you celebrate, it sounds like fun. Diane

Small City Scenes said...

Wow it looks like a full schedule. I sure wish I could be there. MB

It's Just Dottie said...

I so wish I was there. Maybe someday soon !
Dottie

Rambling Woods said...

We have such a rich heritage in this country...wish I could see it..

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a great helper and assistant you have there Gaelyn. :) I am looking forward to the pictures of the ceremonies.

Elaine said...

Looks like a busy couple of days! I can't wait to see your photos.

Pat said...

I want to listen to the Lakota Sioux flutes!!

Anonymous said...

I am there in Spirit.

The Great Spirit would be awesome to ride upon along the currents and winds of change.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

I would love to be able to experience such a celebration. It must really be something. If I had to visit your part of the world I would definitively come back home with a couple of native American articles.

Kathie Brown said...

Gaelyn, your comment made me do further reasearch on Texas Canyon. Come back and see the update at the bottom of my post!

Martha Z said...

That sounds like a great program. We once did a jeep tour on the south rim with a young native man, I don't recall what tribe, and he stoped at the rim and took out his flute, magic.

blog with no name said...

Yup! You caught me working... LOL :)

Google Analytics