Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

SWF – Still burning

01 Schultz Fire & Mt Humphreys from NR GRCA NP AZ

The Schultz fire just north of Flagstaff on Mount Humphreys has spread to 14,500 acres, covers 22 miles and is only about 25 percent contained. Confirmation that an abandoned campfire started this mess.

02 Schultz Fire & Mt Humphreys from NR GRCA NP AZ

Last night’s report estimates that it will take two weeks to contain this inferno. It’s not over yet.

03 Schultz Fire & Mt Humphreys from NR GRCA NP AZ

Residents have returned to their homes after the valiant effort of firefighters. 

To see more views of skies from around the world that hopefully don’t include smoke, or to share your own, go to Sky Watch Friday by clicking here.

Pano SkyWatch Friday badge

24 comments:

Diane said...

I hope that the guilty party is aware of what they have done and they learn form it. Hopefully others will learn as well. Very sad these things happen through lazy, idle people who do not care. Diane

Anonymous said...

The colors on your Grand Canyon are more beautiful than those on my grackle bird. LOL

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

This is really so sad. The up side of smoke is that it normally makes for nice sunsets.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Sad sad sad sad sad. That's beautiful country up there. Looked into moving there once but could only afford a doublewide about 3 hours out of town - LOL! Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration...

ramblingwoods said...

Damn people and their carelessness.. it's all about them and their enjoyment and not to care...I hope they bring it under control faster than what they think and all the fire fighters stay safe....Michelle

Sylvia K said...

I do agree, damn people and their carelessness and it is all about them indeed! I do hope they get it under control soon and don't lose any fire fighters! Terrific post for the day, Gaelyn! Hope your weekend goes well and smoke free!

Sylvia

Barb said...

Oh, my - can you smell the smoke, Gaelyn? I am amazed at the ignorance of people who should know better.

Diane AZ said...

Too bad about the fire and the smokey sky. I feel sorry for the wildlife and hope the firefighters stay safe.

It's Just Dottie said...

This is so sad. It hurts my heart to see the smoke.
Dottie
.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great photos. Those big fires are kind of scary.

A human kind of human said...

The bushfire season is just starting over here in the Bushveldt, so we are all very weary of any open fires. Veldt- or Bushfires are always sad because of the damage, yet in our area they are also beneficail as the underbrush burns clear and makes way for new growth when the rainy season starts in the Spring.

Carolyn said...

Gaelyn I wish we could send some of our never ending rain your way but even more I wish people would be more careful. Despite the fire your photos are stunning.
Smiles

Gwendolyn L said...

So sad. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for your story.

Craver Vii said...

What a horrible consequence for a moment's carelessness. A person can't be too careful when handling fire.

Silver Fox said...

Amazingly clear and blue skies to be able to see the fire plume.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I suppose the bottom line of something like this is if people get hurt by it and I hope this does not happen. Fires in themselves can be a good thing as it promotes good grazing for animals with the first rains.

Jim said...

Great landscape though.

LadyFi said...

Wow, that smoke cloud is still huge. So glad people can start going home.

Small City Scenes said...

Oh wow this is not good. That is a lot of acres. I hope it is under control soon. Lets pray for rain. MB

Regina said...

Truly breathtaking. Been here once.
Thank you for the memory.
Happy SWF.
" Regina "

Al said...

Best wishes to the firefighters battling this blaze. Unfortunately this happens all too much in the west at this time of year.

EG CameraGirl said...

What a waste! What to do about careless people?!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gaelyn: You and Smoky giving the same warning and you wear the same hat.

Janie said...

Still a lot of smoke in your view, I see. A shame the human-started wildfire continues out of control.

Google Analytics