Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Scenic Sunday - Fall colors along North Kaibab Trail Grand Canyon


The fall colors were almost gone on the North Rim when Amy, Jan and I started down the North Kaibab trail over a week ago.

Gambel Oak
But within 1400 feet (445 meters) down we entered Indian Summer.

To see other beautiful scenes from around the world, or to share your own, go to Scenic Sunday by clicking here.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great photos from you hike. The colors are looking wonderful. I like green so I am happy to see pine trees.

Janie said...

Beautiful colors, just in time for your hike!

Anonymous said...

Did you get a stiff neck looking up all of the time? :)

I love how the oak family is so diverse. On the Pacific Crest Trail we must have come across dozens of different species, each with different acorns, and leaves that were always quite unique and varied. Celebrate Good Times!

Anonymous said...

Oaks are so beautiful. I love all the different kinds, especially the black oaks. I have been immersed in collecting acorn tops from our oak tree to start doing my felted acorns. The fall colours are amazing this year!

Splendid Little Stars said...

The first time I saw the Grand Canyon (from the South Rim) it was April. On the top, it was chilly and snowing. As the snow fell, we could see it melt part way down. All the other times I have been to the Canyon (both rims), it has been summer.
I love your photo of the gamble oak. Fun to see the Canyon I love in a different season. Thanks for sharing this.

Diane AZ said...

Love those fall colors and the shape of those Gambel Oak leaves! The only oak trees I've seen around here have small smooth edged leaves, without fancy lobes like those.

Unknown said...

It must be amazing to go from one climate into another as you walk down into the canyon.

Kirigalpoththa said...

That is a very enticing rock face for a climb!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What glorous color Gaelyn. I guess the temps have dropped a few degrees also.

Small City Scenes said...

What a great hike you all were on. Nice color but I bet all the leaves are down now. MB

Nina said...

Fall, that crisp time of year where colors shimmer and the sky glows. A time of change and reflection. I love it! Wonderful photo's. Enjoy your Indian Summer. Love and Light, Nina P

Jeannette StG said...

Gorgeous fall colors. Compared to my pics of Yosemit,with these pics from the Grand Canyon is that the vistas and views are so vast and grand.

Louise said...

I've decided I should winter at the bottom of the canyon. It was 19 here this morning and snowed--hard--this afternoon. I'm rethinking my "no heat" policy. A little shocking when there is no time to acclimate.

Google Analytics