Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Special Events at Grand Canyon National Park


photo copywrite Nancy K Varga

Grand Canyon North Rim Native American Heritage Days

Come Celebrate the Cultural Connections between Native People and Grand Canyon
Been way busy bringing work home with me. I’m helping with Heritage Days by designing promotional flyers, schedules and signs. I had a great image idea for the masthead, but alas, I would first have to learn new software and there’s no time for that. (Put on list of things to do.)


Wedding and Storyteller pots no more than 4 inches tall
Saturday night a large crowd showed up at my campfire program. When I roved the campground to invite visitors to the 7:00 p.m. program a lot of kids got excited about “getting dirty playing with clay.” After my story of Old Clay Man and Old Clay Woman I distributed a handful of clay to at least 25 kids and they worked their magic. These are two of the best.

August 13th & 14th you should come to the North Rim to enjoy flute music, dancing and song along with cultural demonstrations by Hopi, Navajo and Lakota Native Americans. I’ll try to keep you up to date.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Those clay pots look great--how old were the kids who made them? That one with the babies is the best!

Diane AZ said...

Beautiful pots! I love “getting dirty and playing with clay.” Is the class just for kids?

Barb said...

Hi Gaelyn,
I was at a Native American Heritage event in WY a few years ago. You're in for a treat - the fancy dress costumes, music, and crafts were wonderful. My Grands love getting dirty with clay - so does Grammy!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gaelyn: What a colorful display costume for the indian. Those pots are neat.

Loran said...

Wish I could make it, that looks like fun.

Chris said...

That costume is amazing and the kids made a good job of their pots, I'd love to have a go myself

Janie said...

Great clay pots the kids created! You must have really inspired them.
The Native American celebration sounds like fun. The Utes have a Pow-Wow here every year on July 4th weekend. We've gone several times, and it's always interesting.

Sally in WA said...

Those clay pots are wonderful. I'd love to attend one of your campfire programs.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I would dearly love to be there to see all these festivities Gaelyn. I have always admired them and their lifesyle. Those are really two great clay mages better than my bugs. :)

Small City Scenes said...

wow that has to so interesting. I would love to attend any Native American classes, camps etc. You job---if you want to call it a job---has so many advantages and perks. carry on!! MB

Quiet Paths said...

Sounds like your Camp fires are getting very popular. The Heritage Days are a really great place to learn history and lore. Sounds very cool.

Google Analytics