Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Remember Whensday - The Clown Boat-In


Our boat the Six-Pak
I grew up boating with my parents and we spent many summer vacations at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. We stayed in various resorts along the lake and spent day light hours on the water swimming and skiing. One of the favored places to go for lunch was The Clown, a floating hamburger joint with boat slips. The waitresses wore bikinis and always had to refill the bowl of sliced dill pickles several times for us and friends. I loved the pickles but figured Dad liked the place for the bikinis. The immense carp churned up the water enmass as they were fed fish food from the handy gumball like dispensers.

Sally from The (Mis) Adventures of Karl and Sally has started a new meme where the past is remembered through sharing old family photographs and this is #5. I love the idea and hope you will too. So join the fun by clicking here.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool version of the drive-in restaurant! I'll bet your Dad did go there for the bikinis.

Sally in WA said...

You have such great pictures! The Clown sounds like it was a fun place to go while out boating. I don't think I've ever seen any place like it. I wonder if it is still around.

Esther Garvi said...

Beautiful pictures! My grandparents always used to go boating with us when we were little. I still love the sea!

Louise said...

Cool! My dad grew up in Camden County (as well as a couple of other places, but mostly there), and I went to summer camp on Lake of the Ozarks. (Today I can't believe I got in that dirty water--and that people still do--but maybe it wasn't so dirty then.) I don't remember a place with bikini-clad employees. Maybe MY dad didn't know about it!

SandyCarlson said...

That was a really touching post. That looks like a neat place for a burger.

Dawn Fine said...

Oh what a very cool Meme..I like to read your memories..great stuff..
A guys dream..boats, hamburgers and bikinis..LOL

Barb said...

I really enjoyed your story, Gaelyn. Those Carp must have been the size of whales! Wish you had a pic of the waitresses...

Rajesh said...

Sounds like a pretty cool nice experience. I have never spent the night by the lake.

Megan, Life Revamped said...

great family captures!

have a great day!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This must have been a fantastic vacation Gaelyn!! I love going boating too, see another thing in common. Are you sure we are not sisters? LOL!! You are right, the attraction for your dad was definitely the bikinis. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...I have so many old pictures it would be fun to share.
Thank you Gaelyn.

Eve said...

What a fun memory! I have similar memories, but mine involve small planes and 'fly in' hamburger joints. ;)

Rambling Woods said...

Wow..we had a place that brought your food to your car while on roller skates. But this is so much better...

Michaelle said...

This made me remember summers on my grandparents' boat. They lived on a channel just off Pistakee Bay (IL) and we used to fish for those carp & some BIG catfish. In the evenings we'd cruise over to a chinese restaurant where you could order right at the dock. Then we'd float out on the bay and have dinner and look at the stars. It's one of my favorite memories of childhood.

Google Analytics