Description

I own no land, instead I have wheelestate. I’ve been a full time RVer since 1997. Working summers as a Park Ranger takes me to many beautiful places and playing during the winter takes me to many more. This blog is simply the story of my life's adventures.

Moved

Thank you for stopping by. Just to let you know, I'm still blogging but have moved to Geogypsytraveler. Hope you'll follow my adventures. Just click here.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Just passing through

Two new birds at my feeder. It’s been cold and wet today so the feeders have been busy.

Not the female Cardinal on the left or the Chipping Sparrow on the right
At first glance I thought there was a Western Bluebird. Then I got out the field guide, it had a dark line from beak to eye and white wing bars with a long tail. Sure enough, a Lazuli Bunting.

Photo from Utah Dept. Natural Resources
The other new arrival also had me fooled. A Rufous-Sided Towhee or Oregon Dark-Eyed Junco? No, bigger than a junco with a solid orange breast and white wing bars. Ah, a Black-Headed Grosbeak.

Photo from Utah Dept. Natural Resources
Both these species are migrating northward for the summer. I’m grateful they stopped by to feed on their way.

9 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is fantastic to find and identify new species like this even if they are just passing through.

Unknown said...

Both beautiful. I once got some rose breasted grosbeaks at my feeder in Georgia for two days. Then, poof, they were gone.

Anonymous said...

We used to see the Black headed Grosbeaks often in Winthrop and occasionally on the west side in the summers. The lazuli buntings we would only see on a rare occasion. They are a treasure. How fun to see some diversity.

Diane AZ said...

They are gorgeous birds! You were lucky to have been watching when they visited. I've never seen any birds like those at my feeder.

DeniseinVA said...

Such lovely birds. I haven't seen either before and I truly enjoyed learning about them. Thanks so much. Happy Easter!

Gwen said...

What beauties! I'm new to your blog. I found you through Fab Grandma's - I'm a faithful follower.

I'm sorry about Carson... my dogs are my babies, so my heart goes out to you.

The photo of the 5th wheel and Ford extra cab - do you still have that rig? The rv looks to be of the same era of my now permanently parked one.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty birdies! Lucky you to have been visited by them!

Amanda said...

Beautiful birds!!!

RuthieJ said...

What great birds! I've never seen either one.....another good reason to plan a trip to Arizona, right?

Google Analytics